High Street Broadway
Become a triple threat with music theatre training!
Learn from music theatre experts to hone your craft, develop your characters and push your boundaries.
This year-long training course is perfect for the budding 10 to 17 year old student looking to develop their performance skills to succeed in joining music theatre productions. Work in an ensemble setting with your peers and bring your character to life as you sing, act and dance! With a year-long commitment, the course across the year focuses on basics in Semester 1 to build up skills in preparation for a highlights production at the conclusion of Semester 2.
Develop your performance skills as you learn the secret tools and techniques of the Music Theatre world!
High Street Broadway: Music Theatre Training (10-17yrs)
Suitable for students between the ages of 10 to 17
Runs on Thursdays 6pm – 8pm (during the school terms)
Cost: $200 per 8-week term
Learn the ins-and-outs of music theatre and sharpen your stagecraft, movement, performance techniques and memorisation skills. Be privy to the tools that succeed in auditions! Work in an ensemble and build teamwork skills to bring together a scene.
Showcase Performances: 2 per year – July (informal show and tell) and December (highlights show on stage)
What you need to know
This year-long program has been developed to focus on all the skills required for a music theatre production stage. Taking students from the basics to the stage, the course requires a full year commitment from students in light of the mini-production showcase at the end of the year. Enrolments in Semester 2 are restricted, and parts/places for the production are not guaranteed for late enrolments.
High St Broadway Course Outline:
Term 1: Introduction and Basics
- Ensemble work
- Spatial Awareness
- Use of physical space
- Movement, drama, and acting
- Performance and communication skills
Term 2: Voice, stage and movement
- Vocal Use
- Vocal Ensemble work
- Voice and Vocal Health
- Song Structure
- Stage presence and overcoming stage fright
Term 3: Preparing for the stage
- Scene to song transition
- Speech to song transitions
- Working dialogue
- Rehearsal room etiquette
- Music Theatre and Performance Practice
Term 4: Production preparation + Show
- Performance focused production
- Stylized singing
- Staging – using the stage to enhance performance
- Expressive development
- Stage presence and overcoming stage fright
- Technical skills – how to work in the space
- Strengthen vocal ability, improve general music skills
- Reinforce the connection between text/musical analysis and performance
- Character analysis and development
- Develop techniques for auditions and performances
- Received techniques to aid in one’s own learning
- Assess strengths and weaknesses in performance and propose solutions for improvement
- Provide a foundation for further study and development
- Learn to work in a team and bring your character to life
Semester 1, 2019 Dates:
(Mid-term enrolments welcome)
Term 1: Thursday 21 Feb – Thursday 11 Apr
Term 2: Thursday 16 May – Thursday 4 July (Final week is an informal show-and-tell)
Semester 2, 2019 Dates:
(Restricted enrolments: New participants accepted only after successful audition – enrolment submission does not guarantee a place in the show).
Term 3: Thursday 8 Aug – Thursday 26 Sep
Term 4: Thursday 24 Oct – Thursday 12 Dec (Final week is a mini-production live showcase )
Vocal Placement Assessment Requirements:
Returning enrollees can simply click through the event page below to enrol.
All new enrollees must prepare 2 contrasting unaccompanied songs/music theatre pieces which can be assessed in one of two ways:
- Submit a video (Upload to Youtube/soundcloud or share your GDrive/Dropbox/OneDrive link on the enrolment form)
- Live assessment at a pre-appointed time (Please email email@example.com to organise an appointment).
Click through the event page below, click BOOK NOW and include the link to your clip when submitting the form.
Creative Kids Voucher
Create something great. Claim your $100 Creative Kids voucher today. As a registered provider for the Creative Kids program, you can redeem your voucher with us and let your child develop new skills. Enrol them in a new activity so they can create something great. Your Creative Kids voucher will be available for redemption for our High Street Broadway classes! Vouchers can be redeemed via in person or call the Box Office at 4723 7600. For more information regarding the Creative Kids program, or to learn more about the more than 40 government savings and rebates to help with your cost of living, visit service.nsw.gov.au