Funky Monkeys (3-5yrs)
Uptown Funk for Preschoolers
TERM 2 ENROLMENTS NOW OPEN!
Our Funky Monkeys class allows your preschooler to utilise their natural curiosities to explore the world of music. Through imaginative play and active listening, your funky monkey will be introduced to more complex music concepts and forms which consequently will build on their learning.
Your child will also be introduced to language, letters, phonics and numbers and how they are applied in the context of music. With a strong school readiness focus, the activities have a strong peer to peer element and group setting.
Schedule: Saturdays and Wednesdays 10.30am (40 minute classes).
2021 Course Dates
(Mid-term enrolments welcome)
Location: Orchestral Room 2
- Term 2: 4 May to 22 June (8 weeks)
- Term 3: 27 July to 14 September (8 weeks)
- Term 4: 19 October – 7 December (8 weeks)
Location: Orchestral Room 2
- Term 1: 10 February to 31 March (8 weeks)
- Term 2: 5 May to 23 June (8 weeks)
- Term 3: 28 July to 15 September (8 weeks)
- Term 4: 20 October – 8 December (8 weeks)
Location: Ensemble Room 1
- Term 1: 6 February to 27 March (8 weeks)
- Term 2: 8 May to 26 June (8 weeks)
- Term 3: 31 July to 18 September (8 weeks)
- Term 4: 23 October – 11 December (8 weeks)
Music concepts: further development
– Italian words and meanings
– notation: pitch and rhythm
– development of singing and instrument play
– creative expression and application
– music structures and form introduction
– exposure to a wide variety of genres
Problem solving, introduction of critical thinking, pattern recognition
– counting and basic maths structures in music
Language and reading development: (school readiness)
– expressing one’s ideas, thoughts and feelings
– letters, phonics, 2-3 letter words
– story structures
Social development: (school readiness)
– confidence building and self awareness
– engaging respectfully with peers
– cooperative teamwork
– awaiting one’s turn
– respectful hand raising
About the Tutors:
Clare began her own musical education at age of 5 at The Joan, and is very excited to be teaching the new toddler program at the centre. Currently with a Bachelor of Music from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, Clare has studied both the Orff and Kodály methods in music education, as well as vocal pedagogy. Putting these techniques into practice each class through singing, moving, actions and instrument play, classes concentrate on developing each child’s musical understanding, confidence, imagination, and creativity. Clare is passionate about all genres of music and has great enthusiasm when it comes to introducing music to young people.
Yasmin is a soprano with a passion for classical, musical theatre and classical crossover music, having completed a Bachelor of Music (Vocal Performance) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music in 2018.
She has a great interest in vocal pedagogy and maintaining optimal vocal health across different styles such as pop, jazz, classical and musical theatre. She is passionate about nurturing the voice to be produced as comfortably and effortlessly as possible, releasing vocal tension through the development of a healthy vocal technique.
Yasmin has been teaching both singing and piano for 4 years at such schools as Griffiths Music School, Cadence Music School and her own business. She has also prepared multiple students for their AMEB grades and HSC in this time. In terms of performance, Yasmin has sung for numerous engagements, perhaps most notably on Studio 10 in 2019.